Monday, April 19, 2010

Arteta Sorry for Eye Poking Incident, Kind Of



Interesting article by Guardian.co.uk. Supposedly, Mikel Arteta knew Morten Gamst Pedersen might make some hasty tackles. That combined with the fact that Arteta has had quite a bit of injury problems recently (groin tear recently and knee ligament damage for most of last season) resulted in his angry eye poking reaction.

“I probably shouldn't have reacted like I did but there have been a few times – not just in this match – when he's made bad tackles," said the Spaniard. "I don't mind it when they're fair or tough, I accept it with no problem. But with him it's different and he knows that – I told him after it as well.”

Arteta did apologize, even though he made it seem that Pedersen had it coming.

"But I made a mistake, I shouldn't have reacted and I apologise for it. I probably got more upset because I was out for so long and don't want a stupid challenge like that injuring me again."

I don’t mind that Arteta keeps tabs on players that could hurt him or tackle aggressively, but he really needs to keep his cool. Everton can’t afford to lose him, especially with the impact he has had while playing. David Moyes has talked to him, and I doubt that Arteta will react like that again. He is usually level headed and that reaction seemed to be an anomaly.

Liverpool’s win over West Ham puts them five points ahead of us and really gives us no room for error. There are only three matches left in the season and we may need some outside help for Europe to be possible at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment